The smooth functioning of our endocrine system is one of the factors keeping our body‘s harmony in balance.
The pituitary gland, a central organ located in the central nervous system, steers, corrects and harmonises the functioning of the target organs and the body‘s salt and water balance. Protecting and regularly checking the pituitary gland is highly important, because its disorders can cause acute intracranial problems (e.g. headaches, visual problems), as well as hormone failure syndromes (e.g. menstrual problems, infertility, blood pressure problems). With regards to pituitary gland disorders, it is particularly important to mention the phenomenon of hyperprolactinaemia (occurring in both sexes), and it is always significant to clarify the origins of this disorder.
What are the most important „target organs“ of the pituitary gland in the human body?
These are the thyroid gland and the parathyroid gland in the neck region, the adrenal glands located at the top of each kidney, and the reproductive system, which is an elementary part of our body. It does not only play an important role for our sexual identity, but also for planning to become parents and bearing children.
When should you consult our endocrinology specialists?
- Treatment of thyroid gland diseases (hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism)
- Detection of the reasons for osteoporosis
- Detection of high blood pressure disease (hypertension) and of potential hormonal reasons for being overweight
- Analysis of instable blood sugar levels
- Analysis of menstrual problems, detection of hormonal reasons for female infertility
- Carbohydrate metabolic problems, diabetes
- PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome)